Monday, July 7, 2008

Oh, Mamma Mia! Backhanding a Bad Hop Grounder With Sunglasses...


...instead of a glove, leads to this. Or at least, this is what it looks like after the doctor glues one's head back together. I should know better than to take ground balls on a crappy infield, but alas, I got an ugly reminder.

It didn't bleed nearly as much as last time I split that same eyebrow open a 1/4 inch further left a couple years back (a flying elbow from a 260 lb/ dude), but it was still a wide enough gash to warrant stitches. Instead of stitches though, I asked the doctor to give me the 'dermabond' -- which is really just super glue that always looks wet -- since that is easier to cover with make-up.

You see, and this is the worst part, I'm supposed to work Nip/Tuck later today, and I don't think they really want their CSI Techs looking like Frankenstein. I called the casting director and gave him a heads-up, and he thought it would be okay, as long as make-up could cover it. But, I won't be convinced until I'm actually on the set -- they still could send me home when I get there. Curses!

~~~
In brighter news, as a member of the SAG Film Society, I saw a preview screening of Momma Mia! last night at the beautiful DGA (Director's Guild of America) theatre in Hollywood. I knew nothing of the Broadway show the film follows, except that it is based on ABBA music. Although I like some of ABBA's songs, I'm generally not a big fan of musicals, so I wasn't expecting much. But, it was actually a lot of fun! It may have had something to do with packed house, the great sound, and the absolutely pristine print they screened -- no dots or lines or jumps or marks of any kind on the screen or blips in the audio. Somehow, those perfect prints never make it to the Ridge Cinemas in New Berlin, Wisconsin... On the writers' picket line, I actually met a couple guys whose only job it was to watch reels of new films all day and grade them, so they may be distributed properly. I trust this one would have garnered their highest marks. But, I digress.

Mamma Mia! It is filled with great performances (some of the stars have great voices, others maybe not so much...) and the locations are stunning -- it was shot mostly on location in the Greek Islands. I think it goes wide July 18th, and even if you're not a huge fan of musicals, the movie is a good time and worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!