Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Expectations and Disappointments

L.A. is a big place. And it is filled with many, many actors. Some of whom are just like me -- only more connected, more talented, funnier, better looking, etc. Add to that the fact that 95% (or more) of the time you audition for a job, you get rejected. It could be for any or all of those reasons above, or something entirely different -- maybe you look to much like the director's hated ex-boyfriend. Because of this, it can be a tough place to remain positive. That is, expectations must be tempered, so all those rejections don't bring you down. Being in a creative industry, just like music or art, rejection and/or apathetic response to your talents is part of the life we choose. And we know that going in, but that still doesn't make it easier. Inevitably, with every audition you don't hear back from, there is some disappointment -- rejection never feels good -- but it is important to keep things in perspective.

That's why little victories, baby steps must be celebrated and savored. After all, every experience, every audition, every rejection even is laying the groundwork for future successes. And that is why I also feel blessed to have such supportive family and friends who applaud my incremental moves along this long, long road and who lend encouragement when I'm down. In the 5 months or so I've been out here, I've also met some really great people who show me that there is a lot of goodness in this industry that often gets a bad rap.

It's not that I have to give up expectations of success. I still feel that I have the drive and determination to succeed, I just realize that is indeed a marathon and not a sprint. So, there will be some steep hills to climb, and hopefully some nice downhill stretches. Whew, I'm getting winded just thinking of it, I better go get jogging...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!