Saturday, May 22, 2010

Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?

You probably are.  I think I am, too.  And I would love the chance to prove it.  To that end, I 'applied' to audition for the show that Jeff Foxworthy hosts -- now in syndication -- a few weeks ago, and actually got called to come in.  So, after filling out a very looong questionnaire, yesterday I hauled myself over to Sony Studios in Culver City for the 'try-out.'  The first step in the waiting room was a 10 question pre-test.  Now, for those of you familiar with the show -- it was nothing like that.  It wasn't a knowledge-based test at all, more of an IQ test -- sequencing, ordering, etc.

There was a lot of hemming and hawing about the questions amongst some of the dozen or so folks waiting, and one girl snidely said to me, "yeah, good luck with that" as I picked up the packet.  And, to be fair, there were some challenging questions, including one or two that really made me think, but it was not as bad as all that.  It was funny to see a couple folks trying to use their phones to get answers, since as I said it wasn't knowledge-based at all, so unless they had a smarter friend on the other end of their texts, they were probably out of luck. 

Finally my name was called and I went in the room.  A gentleman interviewed me on camera for about 5 minutes and that was that -- mostly about where I was from and my education.  No show-esque questions!  That was a disappointment, and I think it means they probably don't want me since I've known people who have auditioned and had to answer a few mock questions in the style of the show. 

Anyway, with a show like this it's hard to know exactly what they want; unlike Jeopardy, the gist of 'Fifth Grader' is not necessarily to find out who knows the most, but who can be the most entertaining while competing.  Let's face it, if they booked the same folks that are on Jeopardy, the show would be ultra-boring and they'd go broke giving so much money away.

Even if I don't get on the show, I'm glad I went down there.  Then again, maybe they will call after all.  Time will tell.  Until then, I'll just have to keep convincing myself that I am indeed smarter than a fifth grader...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!