Monday, November 10, 2008

Soaps on the Ropes?

I took a couple of great workshops over the weekend. One was part 1 of a 3 part Soap workshop -- yes, those wonderful sudsy daytime shows that housewives/househusbands watch. Or that they used to watch. I guess fewer and fewer people tune into the melodrama these days. In fact, I hear that many of the ones currently on the air might be canceled relatively soon. Still, the ones that do remain provide steady work for the lucky ones that get on.

And, no, working on daytime TV isn't really my first choice -- but it would be working, which would be good. And, no, I wouldn't get cast as the strapping 23-year old hunky love-muffin (I'm afraid my age, chest hair and my not-quite-less-than 5% body fat body would preclude me ;) But, that being said, I would love to be a cop or a lawyer or private eye or some such other thing while I am pursuing what I really want to do. At least, I think I would. Part 1 on Saturday was with a manager who only reps daytime actors. He was very forthright about what it takes to be on a soap and the direction that daytime TV is heading. And the next two weeks are with the casting director of one of the big daytime shows, so I guess I'll see what she thinks of my 'soapability.'

The other CD workshop was with Lisa Loia-Bourne, and she was really wonderful. Rather than the usual "start with questions," Lisa gave us her (very diverse and impressive!) background, and had a bunch of industry advice -- what to do and not to do, both in general and specifically for the office she works at. She similarly took the time with each of the scenes to give notes and feedback, both good and bad, and allowed the actors to do each scene multiple times. It was a very informative session overall, and I hope to read for her again someday soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jeff,

    I'm checking in here from time to time. You'll have to let me know if you end up doing any work on a soap. I don't usually watch, but I am home during the day and I would happily turn one on to see you in action. What would they put on the air if they soaps were can canceled??? That's a lot of daytime time to fill.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!