Friday, March 27, 2009

Paul Kampf Acting Class

Occasionally I post about my weekly acting class - what we worked on, how it inspires me. I don't write about it every week, but I probably could. In the year or so that I've been studying with Paul, I really feel as if I've made huge strides in my acting. The class is nice in that it works on all different aspects of the craft; preparation, auditioning skills, scene work, technique. So, every class is something different and it doesn't get stale. That and the small size (anywhere from 6-10 students depending on people's work/rehearsal schedules) and reasonable price make me very grateful that I found it.

Paul believes that the key to being a good actor is having a deep and clear understanding of what makes your imagination/emotions/instincts come to life when approaching a script or role. So, much of the work we've done so far deals directly with knowing and "tuning" your own instrument. I know that I still have a way to go in this (actually I think it's a lifelong learning experience, as our 'instrument' is always changing based upon our life experiences...), but I am appreciating the journey.

Anyway, if you are out here and looking for an inspiring coach/teacher/class, let me know and I'll put you in touch with Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!