Monday, October 5, 2009

Sunday Reading

A week ago I got an e-mail from a girl I took a class with awhile back. She was putting together a script reading and wanted to know if I wanted to help out. A reading is usually an informal way for writers to hear their script read aloud. This helps them identify strengths and weaknesses, jokes that work, where the pace slows down, etc. And it's a nice opportunity for actors to play a few different roles (I had several characters) without much investment (there is no rehearsal process, for example.)

Of course I said yes, and after reading through the script a couple times and making a few distinct character choices, I was ready to roll yesterday. The reading was at a production company office in Beverly Hills, and the assembled group was a lot of fun. The script was as well; it was a kids/family movie, but very smart and contemporary.

You also never know what could come down the road from getting to meet the writers. But, even if nothing else does, it was still good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!