Monday, September 29, 2008

Sunshine on a Cloudy Day

Wow - I guess it can be cloudy here once in a while. It is strange walking out and seeing a cloud covered sky in the middle of the day here -- sure helps my apartment stay cooler than usual though.

On Saturday, I got to go to the Henson (as in Jim Henson) Recording Studios to watch my former neighbor David do a music session for the TV show he works on. I got to watch him work one time before, but it never ceases to amaze me how musically talented people work. It's almost like a different language. For the session musicians (in this case, 12 strings - violins, cellos, bass), this is the first time they have seen the music, and they seem play it perfectly every time. Of course, it sounds perfect to me, but David and his engineer (? - the guy who works the board) hear slight variations or notes that they want played slightly different here and there. After a few tweaks, they lay down the final track a couple times. It just gives me a further appreciation for what goes into even the shortest music cues on TV shows. Oh, and the studio used to be A & M records, so the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Madonna recorded there -- and the very room I was in was the room used to record "We Are the World" back in the 80's. There is a big framed photograph on the wall of that session - wow, what a collection of legends - and big hair...

Today I went to a place called The Network Studio to audition so I can take their CD Workshops (I've discussed the need to take workshops with casting directors at length last week). I met and auditioned for Melissa, who runs the studio, and she's great. I had heard someone talk about this place before, and then when I was browsing the internet to find places that have as guests casting folks from the offices I'd really like to get into, I found that The Network Studio gets many, many in. I look forward to taking some workshops there in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!