Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You Say You Want A Resolution

The New Year is the traditional time for us all to take stock of where we are and where we want to be. New Year's resolutions are made to in an attempt to ensure that we end the year in a better place than when we began. I read somewhere that specific, concrete, measurable resolutions tend to be the ones that people keep. Yeah, yeah...

As for me though, here are a couple of completely amorphous and unquantifiable goals for me this year:

1) Get in shape - this means the usual: eating better, working out more. For now, thanks to a lingering shoulder injury, "working out" means mostly running. Ugh. I've never really been a fan of running. I've always thought of running as a means to an end (i.e. getting to third base, running a fast break, heck, even playing tag), rather than an end in itself. But, at least for awhile, running will be helping me to keep this resolution. And, who know, maybe I'll end up liking it?

2) Stay positive - The entertainment industry is a tough nut to crack. And especially now, given all of the uncertainty with the SAG contract, there are a lot of things to frustrate one trying to break in and get established. Exacerbating this is that unlike many arenas I've been in (sports, school, most 'normal' businesses), working very hard does not necessarily correlate with a high level of success. There are so many variables that impact, or can impact, success in this town: who you know, how you look, where you're from, being in the right place at the right time... Some things you can control and some you can't. It seems to me that the only thing I can do is work hard to prepare myself so that if and when I do get that opportunity, I can make the most of it.

Sooooo, coming back to my resolution: I will try not to get too down during the bumps on this roller-coaster ride. I will try to surround myself with positive people. I will take new classes and workshops. And I will spend more time in the beautiful California outdoors -- wearing shorts outside in January certainly lifts the spirits!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!